Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Solo!

Today I took off and landed a plane by myself.  Alone.  I am pretty excited about this.  No, I am WAY excited about this.  I think the last time I felt this pumped up about something was at the birth of my kids.  You just don't get this mix of excitement, adrenaline and pride of accomplishment very often.

I met my instructor after work and took a short written test and an oral review of various operating procedures and emergency scenarios -- all things we'd been over many times.  Once he was satisfied, he endorsed my logbook for solo and we preflighted the plane and took off over the Altamont pass for the Byron airport.

The sun was starting to set.  A big moon was rising in the east.  The air was calm and the sky was clear.  We landed at Byron and as I was taxiing back to the runway he said, "...stop here."  Then he opened the door and looked at me and said, "...do three take offs and full stop landings.  Watch your airspeed.  You'll be fine..."  And that was it.  I was on my own.

He stood on the taxiway with a handheld radio while I taxied off.  On the first landing, I was a bit high and landed a little off center.  On the second landing, I flew a good pattern and pulled off a pretty good landing.  And, on the last one, it all came together and it felt great.  During the entire time I was soloing the only time he used the radio was to ask me how to turn on my video camera.

I was surprised about a few things.  First, while I was very jacked up on adrenaline, I didn't feel nervous.  Second, at some level, it's actually a little easier to learn and refine your skills alone than with an instructor.  I think there is just more mental airspace to work things out when you are alone.  You obviously can't be alone early in your training without killing yourself, but there is clearly a benefit to this solo thing.

After the third landing, I picked him up and we took off for Livermore. It was getting dark and by the time we made it back the runway was all lit up and I got to make my first night landing.  A very nice bonus on an already amazing day.

When we got back, the school owner insisted we walk back to the hanger and take a few pictures.  As he put it, "this is the only day that will ever be the day of your first solo..."  He is right!

The real credit goes to my instructors Matt and Rhett -- especially Matt with whom I fly most.  I was really at a loss for words except to tell them how much I appreciate them helping me get to this point safely and with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment