Sunday, September 18, 2011

Landing is a Process...

In my work I help people think in terms of process.  Individual performance is hit or miss but a process can be improved and be made consistent.  Thus, getting better is about first understanding the process and then about making the process better.  When it comes to flying, I've been missing the first part.

After 10 hours of flying I am just starting to figure out the process of landing an airplane which I think is about the hardest thing I have ever tried to do.


According to my logbook I have 25 landings since I started flight training about 3 weeks ago.  The light bulb is just starting to turn on.  Here are the notes I took from today's lesson:

I have to balance these factors:


  • Power (via RPMs)
  • Airspeed
  • Pitch
  • Descent Rate
  • Position (mainly timing of turns)

What I have finally learned is that (in the diagram above) there is a power setting, an airspeed, a descent rate and a pitch angle for every leg of the approach pattern.  I just need to bake these settings into my aging brain and practice.

Here is what I am working on:

  • Downwind:  1,800 RPMs, 85 knots, level flight, 1,000' MSL
  • Downwind abeam the runway numbers:  1,300 RPMs, 80 knots, starting 500 FPM descent, 10 deg flaps, 1,000' MSL
  • Base Leg:  1,300 RPMs, 75 knots, 500 FPM descent, 20 deg flaps, 500' MSL, look and adjust timing to final
  • Final:  1,300 RPMs, 65 knots, 500 FPM descent, 30 deg flaps, 300' MSL, adjust RPM for glide slope
  • Short Final:  Idle RPMs, 60 knots, flare and land

Landing an airplane is the hardest thing I've ever done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment